View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 04:44 PM   #8
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgn View Post
Understood. One of the reasons I will never use an MSI based installer. I develop using Delphi and quite understand your frustration with Microsoft!
Why not? MSI-based installers are as customizable as you want them to be, with an open-source framework for building them (WIX). They get you nice standard behaviors (install/repair/upgrade/uninstall) easily integrated into the Add/Remove Programs control panel, and are fully supported by Microsoft. Sure, they can be arcane but that's where 3rd parties often step in and try to make things nicer.

I'm not trying to knock Kovid here. I realize he's a Linux developer, not Windows, so I wouldn't expect or even encourage him to learn the ins and outs of WIX and MSIs. That's where the community can step in. People like me, who've been working with WIX for the last ~10 years (yes, I work at Microsoft, and we were using WIX for years before it was released as a public open source project). Hopefully my guidance above helps, and if I ever get any free time I may go ahead and sync up my calibre sources and have a go at modifying the installer myself.

Last edited by toddos; 06-28-2010 at 04:49 PM.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote