View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 10:30 AM   #1
gadgetfreak
gadgetfreak began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Lightbulb Sony eBook Library, PRS-600 and Mac Snow Leopard -- Works with External USB Hub!!!

Hi there...

I basically found this out by accident, and thought I'd share it everybody out there who are trying to use Sony eBook Library 3.0 with Mac OSX Snow Leopard. I have been getting mixed success in getting eBook Library to work with my Macbook Air, and then realised that there was one thing in common in every instance that it worked successfully: I had my PRS-600 plugged into the external USB hub that's incorporated into my external Apple Cinema Display.

Upon realising this, I did a number of experiments to test it out, and sure enough, when I plug the PRS-600 directly into my Macbook Air's USB port, the behaviour is very different. The "LAUNCHER" drive pops up immediately, but it takes a while for "READER" to mount. Then, the icon for Sony eBook Library starts up, but usually it the window for the application doesn't come up. If the window does come up, it's very slow in interacting with the reader. Actually, if I try to open up the READER drive in Finder, it's very slow as well.

If I plug the PRS-600 into the USB hub on my display, though, and then plug the display's USB cable into the Macbook Air, the LAUNCHER and READER drives mount immediately, and the Sony eBook Library loads quickly and without any problems. Browsing the READER drive in Finder is very fast as well.

Please note that I've set the Sony eBook Library to run in Rosetta -- I had a bunch of random freezes if I didn't, regardless of which USB port I plugged the PRS-600 into.

I don't know enough about how USB works, so can't begin to guess why it works properly through the external USB hub and not when directly connected to the Macbook Air. Maybe it's a USB driver issue?

I hope that this is helpful to any Mac users out there running Snow Leopard!
gadgetfreak is offline   Reply With Quote