View Single Post
Old 07-04-2010, 07:00 AM   #1
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
How do I use Calibre to change a book's cover?

I have downloaded some books in Mobi / PRC format from the library here at Mobile Read. In some cases, I want to change the cover image, but I can't get it to work. I'd appreciate some help.

I am using Calibre ver. 0.7.7.

This is what I have been doing:

1. Downloaded the book as a PRC file.

2. Added it to my Calibre library.

3. Went to the "Edit metadata individually" screen. In the Book Cover area, I can see the cover that comes with the book.

4. Clicked the "Browse" button and selected a JPG file (on my hard drive) to use as the cover. The new image shows up correctly in the Book Cover area.

5. Clicked OK.

I can now see the new image in Calibre, both in the main library page and also when I open the book within Calibre. I can also see a new file, named Cover.JPG, in the book's containing folder; this file contains the new image.

The problem is that when I try to open the book in Kindle for PC or the Mobi Pocket reader, or when I transfer it via USB to my Kindle, I still see the built-in image.

I have also tried this:

1. Selected the book in the Calibre library.

2. Opened the Convert E-Book screen. I can see my new cover in the Book Cover part of the screen.

3. Clear the checkbox labelled "Use cover from source file".

4. Clicked the "Browse" button and selected the file with my new image.

5. Clicked OK to convert the book from PRC to Mobi.

The result is exactly the same as before. The new cover shows up in Calibre, but not in the other readers.

I feel sure I'm missing something obvious. I hope someone can help.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote