View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #7
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As far as I can tell, downloaded kepubs are never read for their metadata. I am fairly sure the metadata is put into the database from the server. This is the only question I have about manually making the changes, whether a sync will override it.
At least some metadata seems to come directly from the server, such as the series information. But I would have thought that if the server were supplying the author name then it would match the name shown on the website, so maybe it is updates some metadata from the kepub file after download?

I know Kobo are updating the series information on their books bit by bit, but it does seem a bit haphazard. Some series have only one book (not always the first) with series information, others have different series names for books in the same series, and many have the series information duplicated in the title or subtitle. It would be a real mess if we didn't have Calibre to sort it all out :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
You may have to delete the .kepub, disconnect the device so the delete is processed, and then 'sideload' the kepub.
That might work, but I don't want to sideload any kepubs if I can possibly avoid it, it seems like that would open the way for a lot more things going wrong. I'll stick to the method of updating the database, and just try to avoid changing anthing that affects the interaction between device and server.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote