View Single Post
Old 06-12-2019, 01:54 PM   #7
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Well, you just picked one of my favourites of his: The Dead Zone.

The problem with the "lesser known" description is that for a King fan (as I once was, though much less so now) there is no such thing . For example, is Firestarter lesser known? It was made into a movie (but so was The Dead Zone). Firestarter didn't make favourite status for me, but I did enjoy it (4/5). Same goes for 'Salem's Lot.

I've spoken elsewhere of Different Seasons, a collection of four novellas. Three have been made into movies. Two are (IMO) some of the best that Stephen King has ever done: Rita Hayworth And Shawshank Redemption (movie was called just Shawshank Redemption) and The Body (movie was called Stand By Me). Coincidentally - or not - the movies for these two stories are also favourite movies of mine and are excellent adaptations (not always the same thing, and quite unusual for a King story to be so done so well).

My reaction to King varied quite a lot (I hated Carrie, Cujo and Thinner, and disliked The Shining, Delores Claibourne and Gerald's Game.) But I liked quite a few others and would recommend you try: Needful Things and Insomnia. I don't think It could be considered lesser known, but it made favourite status with me (but I definitely could not recommend the movies).
Thanks for such a detailed post. I have watched Insomnia. But I thought Shawshank Redemption and The Body were short stories. I will try Needful Things. I'm psyched for Salem's Lot!

I loved reading Pet Sematary. What's your opinion of it?

I used to love most books in the past, but ever since I had e-books I became picky. Whenever I try to force myself to read an unappealing book I would get unhappy. That's why I asked about this. I think we might have similar taste in King's books. I also gave you some karma.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote