View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 12:41 AM   #51
Wolfman
Wolfman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300 (and mulitple others)
Here is something that may have been thought of before (if it has let me know). I read a lot of books in series. Calibre is easily able to sort by Author, series and title but none of the devices I have used are able to easily sort on series or even acknowledge the series. Some have the ability to group books but normally its a fairly tedious process because you have to manually do it in the device.

What I have been doing is manually placing a mnemonic in front of the title. Usually the first 3 letters of the series name followed by it's number. For instance for the Lord of the Rings. The fellowship of the ring I change the title to Lor01 - The Fellowship of the Ring. So when I upload all the Lord of the rings books to my Sony, Kobo or Kindle and sort by Author then Title all the books appear sequentially as a series. Actually that isn't exactly true the Kindle seems to have problems with sorting numbers in the correct order, but at least the series are grouped together.

Anyway the difficulty is that because the titles are no longer correct this makes for a messy library in Calibre and it is a tedious process to do. It would be a much simpler process if Calibre could Append such a mnemonic to the book titles when it pushes them to a device. Now you would be able to sort by series easily on the device but keep your library clean.

Anyway is this a silly idea? Has something been done to make this happen in a different way already?

Regards,
Dave
Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote