View Single Post
Old 11-09-2018, 04:43 PM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
I don't think you've tried any LEDs recently. They're very good. Like amazing good. The color problem has been somewhat solved by moving away from UV (its a big deal in art because it degrades organic materials).
Um, no. Only the low power per LED filament ones are better.
I regularly examine this stuff, also being scientifically trained and having been a design engineer, broadcast engineer and photographer, I know how this stuff ACTUALLY works, I do not go by the adverts.
Also less UV makes the colour WORSE.
The point is to convert the UV to visible light with the phosphor. Decent CFL and LED do not actually radiate UV.
Obviously daylight fades artwork. Decent LED, CFL, Florescent and halogen lamps for art display have UV filters.

The colour rendition problem is worst with the COB and similar LEDs (the one to nine high power types) and highest efficiency CFLs as well as higher efficiency LEDs.

I do think the idea of mixed colour LEDs so as to be able to have a less blue front light (as per some Kobos) is a good one as the evidence suggests the excess blue (WORSE in LEDs with LESS UV) is bad for sleep and degrades the retina.
So I don't use the fixed "white" front lights on my PW3 or Kobo H2O if there is any alternative. I have good enough lights to read old books, so never need front light on at home.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote