View Single Post
Old 11-09-2018, 04:22 PM   #14
Nausicaa
Connoisseur
Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
The Kindles only use so called "White" LEDs, so no "color temperature" change is possible.
I use a nice color temperature of reading light. Or daylight. I don't use the LED front light on my Kobo or Kindle.

It's fake colour temperature on ANY LED front light, LED lighting or LCD using LED back lights as it's a discontinuous spectrum. A fixed "white" is the so called "White" LEDs which are Blue/Violet/Near UV part of spectrum depending on physical type (affects cost). The white appearance is from phosphors.
A CFL, CCFL, Fluorescent lamp is much shorter UV, so the phosphors work better.
Also a better spectrum (better colour Rendition, apparent Colour Temperature is separate) needs shorter UV (no LED) and more phosphors (less light). So high efficiency CFL are very discontinuous and a bit blue, good colour rendition is less efficient. The apparent colour temperature is down to mix of phosphors.
A "White" LED might only have one or two phosphors, cheapest uses just yellow and with blue of cheap LED you get a white appearance. Huge gaps in spectrum.
so called "Adjustable" Color temperature front lights on eInk need either Red, Green and Blue LEDs or Yellow and Blue (cheaper). Both of these are more expensive than blue/violet LEDs with yellow phosphor coating.
LCD panels can do apparent colour temperature change by the LCD itself (which is monochrome but with coloured dye dots on each pixel, either R G B, or R G and G B on alternate lines or sometimes R G B Y). Only very expensive TV / Monitor panels use R G B LEDs instead of "white". Also cheaper LCD panels only use LED at the edges.
The OLED are not "real" LEDs. they are diode like Electroluminescent dots that use phosphors. Only very large hall / stadium displays and the Sony Crystal screen use real R G B LEDs.
I don't think you've tried any LEDs recently. They're very good. Like amazing good. The color problem has been somewhat solved by moving away from UV (its a big deal in art because it degrades organic materials). http://www.nichia.co.jp/en/about_nic...18_012501.html They can probably get away with a series of 5000K and 3000K lights that dim accordingly.

Then again it won't make me upgrade either. Kindles have long stagnated, they're mostly designed for reading romance novels and not large enough for reading more technical stuff. Are you excited for any technology in reading?
Nausicaa is offline   Reply With Quote