Thread: Firmware Update New Kindle update?
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #29
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawcheehung View Post
Sorry new here...but what exactly is the purpose of de-DRMing the books in the first place? For the purpose of free use on other e-readers besides the Kindle?
To be sure that you have access to the ebooks in the future. To be able to convert the ebooks to different formats.

These are the two most important reasons. I also like to be able to tweak the text, or extract the text for comparison with other editions.

There have been several instances where ebook suppliers or retailers have stopped supplying certain ebooks, leading to a loss of access for customers.

Amazon dropped their DRMed PDF ebooks a few years ago. OverDrive pulled out of the Fictionwise ebook store quite recently.

With a DRMed ebook you can never be certain you'll still have access when your current device breaks, even if a replacement reader is available of the same kind from the same company — the publisher might have withdrawn the ebook from sale in the meantime.

I haven't bought an ebook with non-removeable DRM since 2003 or so. And luckily, even the ones I bought before then I've been able to de-drm.

I'm certainly not going to buy any ebooks now that I can't de-drm.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote