View Single Post
Old 05-22-2018, 07:23 AM   #1
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Book Speed Dating

So I better define my terms, because this was something I heard about the other day on a podcast, and when I went back and googled the term I came up with something slightly different.

The google results were to do with an actual event, usually arranged by a school or library, with books on tables and cards you fill out and so on. So like actual speed-dating but with books instead of people. The idea being to find your next book based on a quick sample read.

The podcast version was simply this: take a bunch of books, read the first 50 pages (or 10% or whatever) and decide based on that whether to keep the book or discard it.

It's really the later I wanted to talk about. It intrigues me as a way to cut down the TBR and weed out some of the chaff I know is in there.

I'm tempted to try it with say 10 books and see how I get on. Thing is if I decide I'm enjoying a book, am I going to be able to set it aside to finish sampling the other 9? Also, am I willing to be ruthless enough?

Has anyone else tried it? If so, how did it go? What rules did you set yourself?
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote