View Single Post
Old 01-21-2019, 04:27 PM   #36
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I took a look at the List of Consuls in the free sample of the book you mentioned. From what I could see, Amazon is likely to be responsible for the image quality issues that you mentioned in that book. The original version provided by the publisher to Amazon used high quality images.

With Kindle books a lot depends on the device to which the book is being delivered and the format used. I looked at the sample in two different formats, KF8 (azw3) and KFX, both downloaded using Kindle for PC. I compared the total file size of the sample and the size and resolution of the JPEG images that make up the List of Consuls. The images in the KFX version were noticeably clearer with fewer artefacts and are likely closer to what the publisher originally provided.

The KF8 version was 1.4MB and the images were 932x1117 (126KB), 789x1340 (119KB), and 1638x444 (110KB).

The KFX version was 12.3MB and the images were 1252x1500 (1.2MB), 1031x1750 (1.2MB) and 1638x444 (330KB).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I had the sample delivered to my Fire10, figuring that that would give me the best view of the images, and they are all quite crisp there. I see no difference whatsoever between the full-page images on the Chronology or the list of consuls, versus the last page, even when zoomed. These are pretty good and undergo zooming--significant zooming--on my F10 without degradation.

I don't see poor quality here.

Hitch
Thanks! It's good news that publishers have started doing a better job.

I guess I need to start considering installing wine and getting kindle4pc.

The few times that I've accidentally got the KFX version on e-ink, the images had exactly the same dimensions as in the KF8 version but had significantly lower quality.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote