View Single Post
Old 09-18-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
blkhawk
Bit Wrangler
blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Oasis
Lightbulb Kindle 3 serial plug designs

Hi,

I thought i might as well post the mechanical design I use for my Kindle serial plug since the other plug designs i have seen here do not contain the notch you need to insure a good connection with the 2 serial pins.

You can see why you need the notch when you take apart the socket the K3 has. I wish i had done that at the start because i had lots of headscrating moments why the damn plug would work one moment and not the next.

It also led me to discard a perfectly good sparkfun level converter as "broken".

Right now i use a Bus Pirate to interface the kindle.

To etch you need the following:

Etching solution (natriumpersulafte)
a single sided copper clad board (a really small piece of that board really)

a laserprinter
a page of *inkjet* glossy photo paper
an old toothbrush

print the .brd file with EAGLE in Black+White to the paper and iron it to the copper side of the board. The printout should look like the png I included.

use some warm running water and the toothbrush to remove the paper.

etch the board in the etching solution and then cut the board down like the one in the attached photo. Your board will also be probably too thick. you need to file it down by 1/3 if you have standard thickness board.

after that attach a suitable 1.8v serial adapter or level converter and enjoy.

-blkhawk

[ad] come to #kindle @ irc.freenode.net [/ad]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k3-adapter.png
Views:	1383
Size:	299 Bytes
ID:	58440   Click image for larger version

Name:	oldplug.jpg
Views:	2602
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	58442  
Attached Files
File Type: zip k3-adapter.zip (2.5 KB, 1819 views)
blkhawk is offline   Reply With Quote