View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 05:05 AM   #5
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by solara View Post
Okay, a few more questions:

1-Does Pocket Pro support PRC (I have a lot of PRC books)? On Astak's website, they list .PRC as one of the major formats supported (under Features section), but under the complete list of supported non-DRM formats under Specifications, .PRC is not on the list (but .PDB and everything else is)??

I'm guessing the info page for the 5" and 6" reader is just not complete - the single FAQ page for both 5" and 6" state both readers support the same non-DRM formats.

2-Also, I've been reading about how Astak doesn't seem to render .LIT files very well. Is this a known problem, and are there any plans to improve support for .LIT files (not the larger than 4mb files and those with lots of pictures - just basic .LIT files with text)?
Non-DRM .PRC is supported on the Pocket Pro, so no worries there. There are some of us who have experienced a few minor problems with the PP "hanging" after a period of inactivity when reading a .PRC, but that was with earlier firmware (plus being non-DRM it is a very easy convert to .epub using Calibre).

There has been some discussion on issues with .LIT, and from what I can tell it is a pretty much a 'hit or miss' case with that file format. Astak have released roughly 1 firmware update each month since the PP release (AFAIK it is not a release schedule, it just happens to be coincidence when the firmware updates are released). Robert is very active in listening to our problems and passing the information on, so I have no doubt that the .LIT issues are documented and in the pipeline to be fixed.

A BIG advantage with the number of file formats the PP supports, if you have a non-DRM file that has some issues, it is very easy to convert to anyone of the wide variety that the PP supports. In the Sticky section in this forum there is a thread "Astak Pocket Pro Version listing" that is being kept up to date with what changes take place in each firmware release.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote