View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 09:58 PM   #12
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 1 and DX, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
Except there is no interconnection for the DX...everything must go through Amazon via email then out to the DX's. So a mailing list to each person with a DX needs to be used and there is the whole idea of confidential documents passing through a non-secure 3rd party in Amazon...who we already know snoops into the documents they handle...how long before some sort of important confidential document is leaked out through the black hole that is Amazon?

Just not a smart choice as far as I can see. Now here is where wifi works OK for a ereading device. Of course there are still security concerns even with WPA2 or better encryption. I suppose encrypted documents could be passed through to Amazon, but what the heck will Amazon do with them and then how would the DX itself decrypt the encrypted document? Maybe via the browser? Download the document over the broadband connection of course it's not as if mobile phone services are encrypted enough to be secure at all...a real boon to the media as well as those seeking for inside info from the city council...snoop their DX.

Not trying to wiz in the Cheerios here, but everything about this is wrong, not because the device is a bad idea, but because the device is not in any fashion geared toward this sort of use.

Of course if anyone has watched the Chief's or Royals play for the past decade or more, then one might understand why this might seem smart to the voters of KC...
A very good point. I doubt document security was one of their concerns when ordering the DXs :-)

And I agree they should have waited for the new ereaders - this is a long term investment (if they hope to save any money) and today's ereaders aren't exactly long-term investment material.
anurag is offline   Reply With Quote