View Single Post
Old 07-16-2018, 09:52 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Sahara View Post
Well, I think that if Calibre write the metadata directly into the book, it would be a better thing.
There has been a lot of discussion about this over the years. I'd suggest a search to find it. But, overall, I think the current direction is correct.
Quote:
Anyway, I'm not sure to understand: how would you add the following metadata into the .opf file of an epub with the calibre metadata editor?

Code:
<!-- Attention to 'opf:role="com"' -->
<dc:creator opf:file-as="Dolci, Francesco" opf:role="com">Francesco Dolci</dc:creator>
<dc:rights>-SS- luglio 2018</dc:rights>
<dc:contributor opf:role="bkp">Created with EBC - the Electric Book Creator by Sasha Pavlowskij</dc:contributor>
<meta content="1.0" name="EBC - the Electric Book Creator"/>
Looking at those lines:
  • The first is a comment, so I assume that isn't something you are interested in.
  • The dc:creator looks exactly the same as what calibre uses when it sets the author.
  • Calibre doesn't seem to handle the dc:rights, but I also don't see it in any of my books. Is it a copyright statement or something else?
  • The dc:contributor is what put there by the tool used to create the epub. Calibre will set this at appropriate times to itself.
  • The meta tag appears to be specifying the version of the tool that created the epub.

My understanding is that calibre is maintaining most of the Dublin Core metadata entries when it updates the metadata in the books. The dc:rights seems to be the missing entry but that might just be my books. The other two entries are application specific and I wouldn't expect anyone to manually add them.

I would suggest doing some experiments to see what happens. Create an empty book, fill in the metadata in calibre and update the book. Then view the OPF and see what you have.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote