View Single Post
Old 11-09-2017, 05:28 PM   #26567
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Finished a few more books from the library. Firstly, the graphic novel adaptation of The Mystery Knight, a novella in George R. R. Martin's Dunk & Egg prequel spin-off of his A Song of Ice and Fire series, was pretty nice. This had the same adaptation team as the previous ones, out from a different publisher before being reprinted by the new one, and the script and art by Ben Avery & Mike S. Miller were done just as well as before. A little disappointingly, this didn't have any extras in the back. While this was released all at once rather than gradually as separate issues so there couldn't be a cover gallery, it would have been nice to see some concept or other sketches like the previous volumes had.

Just now, Ben Aaronovitch's Moon Over Soho, 2nd in his Rivers of London police procedural urban fantasy series, which I bought the 1st for during a sale a while ago but didn't get around to reading until the series was nominated for the Hugo Awards. While this was an engaging enough read with an interesting look at the historical London jazz scene as well as fleshing out the magic system a bit more, I'm still not yet convinced it's really a Best Series candidate, since this installment wasn't quite compelling enough for me to sit down and read all at once instead of on-and-off during bus rides over a couple of weeks. But possibly it levels up in later books and I'm willing to persuaded and I did pre-emptively grab the novella once it went on deep-discount sale.

In between, redeemed some Kobo points to get Elsewhere, the latest in Barbara Hambly's self-published Further Adventures novelettes continuing her various series with new shorts, this one for her Darwath fantasy setting. While it didn't seem quite as good storywise as the two previous Darwath shorts, it did make some nifty use of the setting's possibilities and we saw a bit of catch-up on whatever happened to some important antagonists from the original trilogy, as well as continuing developments with both familiar and newly introduced characters. Overall I liked it and hope she writes more, hopefully at intervals of less than three years between them, in the future.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote