Thread: Kobo Start Menu
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2014, 08:51 AM   #39
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by embryo View Post
I was thinking about a scenario like this:
You are on vacations, away from computers with your reader, and somehow it gets into a "software trouble".
You can fix this with a factory reset, but then you lose all the patches that you've made.

But if you had somewhere a folder with the last "KoboRoot.tgz" firmware and all your patches unpacked, you could copy them to the .kobo folder and perform the updates one at the time.
I know that an update is not the same with a factory reset, but it it something ...

This also takes for granted that the menu and your backup folder will survive the installations.
I was also thinking of this scenario. If you look at the "scripts > restore" menu, you will find some "restore ..." scripts. One of those scripts is "restore KoboRoot.tgz.sh," it assumes that there is a KoboRoot.tgz in .kobo\kbmenu\copyrepos and copies it to .kobo. "restore" is of course a misnomer in this case.

The second solution is this. Go to "scripts > external sd." There, you find "list sh on sd.msh." This lets you browse the external sd for script files, and lets you execute them. You can for instance put KoboRoot.tgz somewhere on your external sd, and a script file that copies KoboRoot.tgz to .kobo.

Last edited by tshering; 02-12-2014 at 09:07 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote