Thread: iBooks backup?
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
marcopapa
marcopapa began at the beginning.

Device: IPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyche View Post
If you don't let iTunes manage your music then music, movies, and books are left where you copied from them and only imported into iTunes as a link as it were. This way you can have your own back up strategy and not duplicate files

This can be a problem, as it was for me since I have "original" epubs I made that I liked to keep untouched - most epub apps make changes to the files as they use them. I copied my epubs into iTunes and didn't think of this and now I've got a new file "iTunesMetadata.plist" added to each one.

I've only got the Winnie the Pooh ebook from iBooks and it's stored exactly like Trubu said; iTunes Media / Books / A.A. Milne which makes more sense than putting books in your music folder.
On a Mac with OS X, if you let iTunes manage your assets (which covers 99% of users) whenever one purchases books or downloads free ones from the iTunes Bookstore using the iBook app, and then syncs with iTunes, all the books gets stored the same as iTunes Music as I outlined in my previous post. You can go to iTunes -> Library -> Books, right click on a book, and select Show in Finder, and you'll verify this. On a Mac, the Winnie the Pook book is treated differently: it just doesn't exist as far as iTunes is concerned, and is not synced, when iTunes manages your assets. I verified this on 4 different iPad / Mac configurations. Also in this case no iTunesMetadata.plist files are created either, since the folder name sequence maintains the same info, and the files do not get modified.

Last edited by marcopapa; 05-29-2010 at 04:49 PM.
marcopapa is offline   Reply With Quote