View Single Post
Old 06-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #176
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I clearly remember the poll mentioned by John F. and I would stand by my reply then. I still think that e-books should be the preferred option but I would be reluctant to simply exclude all other formats.

Sometimes, it is well worth getting a hard copy. For instance, it was quite impossible for me to obtain an electronic format for Turn Magic Wheel, so I ordered the pbook and am very glad that I did so--as otherwise I would have been denying myself a wonderful reading experience. I have since found other very good works which are simply not available in any ebook format at all. I couldn't get the Datkangel trilogy by Meredith Ann Pierce in any electronic form and had to read the paperback edition--which was very pleasantly printed.

You might recall that I nominated Wide Sargasso Sea and this too is not easily obtained in ebook form but it is quite inexpensive as a paperback. Another excellent book was chosen in the poll that was an ebook--and, personally, I think that was the correct option--but I still think that my nomination of WSS was worth making, if only to draw attention to the novel.

And, as Issybird pointed out, geo-restrictions add another problem. Living in the Republic of Ireland means that I cannot oder books from the UK Kindle store! They have to be available through Amazon.com. and be obtained from that site.

So I would agree that we really should allow latitude in the formatting choice.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 07-01-2012 at 02:47 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote