View Single Post
Old 08-13-2017, 12:15 AM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Books with an academia or schooling focus or setting

Any good recommendations on this front? I think it may be my first recommendation request thread here, but I just thought of it after finishing Lucky Jim which I really enjoyed. It can be either from the teacher's or student's point of view (or neither or both), or perhaps might focus more on researchers/scholars and the like. I would generally prefer a focus on higher eduction/academia but I also like good YA and don't mind any type of school setting. If it is younger than higher education then I prefer boarding school/select school settings but again any type can do if the book is good (I purposely left out some school descriptors that might be confusing for a bi-pondal audience, but the idea is clear enough I think).

Some of my favourite books include Brideshead Revisited and The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. I also enjoyed The Historian; many didn't but I think the academia atmosphere helped warm me to it. It goes without saying I suppose that I love the Harry Potter books and films, and also the first book of Pullman's trilogy, Northern Lights/The Golden Compass, and I loved the first Kingkiller book The Name of the Wind especially for the schooling, and I liked A Separate Peace. I even liked (get ready to clutch your pearls) The Da Vinci Code, again probably warmed by the (if you must, pseudo-)scholarly atmosphere. One book that disappointed me was The Secret History despite its focus. Some of my favourite films include Educating Rita, Love Story, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, the Indiana Jones films, Chariots of Fire, Picnic at Hanging Rock, A Beautiful Mind. I also really liked Borstal Boy, Another Country, If..., the Swedish film Evil, the French film Wild Reeds, Good Will Hunting, Heathers, Election, Never Let Me Go, The Oxford Murders, The History Boys, Dead Poets Society... Well, I could probably keep going but I think you have the gist of it!

I already have Zuleika Dobson, Mister Pip, The Finishing School and The Getting of Wisdom on my tbr and I'm reading Of Human Bondage, and I guess it almost goes without saying that I'm probably aware of any book/film counterparts to any already mentioned.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote