View Single Post
Old 06-26-2019, 07:40 PM   #27
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Hopefully this commit will take care of any auto-rebooting by the vc++ 2017 redist in future Sigil installers. The Sigil installer may still prompt for a reboot after it completes (if the vc++ redist determines it's necessary), but the user can choose to do so or not at that point.

I'd update the Sigil 0.9.15 beta release with the new installer, but it actually involved a change to Sigil's codebase, so it will have to wait until the next release. Hopefully it won't happen to very many people. Auto-rebooting is the epitome of uncool, and I had no idea their vc++ 2017 redistributable was prone to doing it. My apologies.
Thanks for looking into it, looks like it wasn't a case of 'just me'. Apology not necessary, not even gratefully received It's a beta release.

I'm loathe to retest with the next release as it would mean reverting to 0.9.13, restoring settings, and uninstalling the 2017 VC++ redistributable but ... open to requests

A programmer who used to work for me said of C++, "It's really good at hiding the data, but it's even better at hiding the bugs."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Seemed to install fine on Windows 10 64

However it seemed to freeze in multiple instances:
1) If I double clicked on an ePub file then I would get a blank preview window and no main window. I had to close out with Sigil showing "Not responding".
Did you try using File Explorer Open With. . . Sigil, that works OK for me, I have the calibre viewer as the default for.epub.

Quote:
2) Same thing if I click on the Sigil icon in the start menu to open without loading a book.
Works for me - also works from task bar

Quote:
3) If I restart the computer then (using the Start menu icon) I am able to open to Sigil's main window plus a blank preview.
4) I then used the "open" icon to get an ePub file that loaded almost instantly - Yay! - but the preview window was still blank ant the program froze again (not responding).

5) I uninstalled 9.15 and then reinstalled - same issues
Apart from opening a file instantly, I can't repeat any of that. Try using a vanilla set of preferences and try running in Windows Safe Mode.

Added: I missed your update regarding the PV window, I have it docked to the right, works fine in that config. If I undock it, close Sigil, and restart I have to press F10 to get it back again (that might be my kb shortcut)

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-26-2019 at 07:55 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote