View Single Post
Old 10-17-2017, 02:37 PM   #3
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Unfortunately, I am very disappointed in this book. Yes, it has the occasionally sensitive insight but just as often the prose descends into a crass vulgarity that I intensely dislike. I lived through the period she describes and while we now realise some of the terrible things that happened, everyone wasn't stupidly insensitive and wound up on an obsession with genitalia. I knew plenty of large families and they were generally happy and emotionally balanced. As to the narrator, I couldn't relate to her at all.

On the other hand, consider Tirra Lirra by the River-- a book with some broad similarities to The Gathering. There is a woman meditating on her past and a community with a dark secret. Jessica Anderson's main character was no angel but she was subtle, had an inner dignity, and I did sympathise with her. The novel itself had a coherence of tone conveyed with great skill and I felt it was a far better work than The Gathering.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 10-17-2017 at 02:42 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote