View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #15114
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I recently finished "Gods of Risk," the latest novella in James S.A. Corey's Expanse series (SciFi). I really enjoy these short, insightful stories. They fill the time spent waiting between novels, and as a functional bonus... serve to further flesh out characters/locations/themes and general back-story in a way that frankly without the novellas, would probably have to be included as mind-numbing info-dumps in the "meat and potatoes volumes." Bravo!
---

I also finished Felix Gilman's The Rise of Ransom City—the second half of a duology that began with The Half-Made World. I'd consider this more of a "true" duology; in that the two volumes are only loosely connected by setting and a few characters. They both stand basically on their own. Even so, I wouldn't recommend reading the second before (or without) the first; there's some concepts and "Powers" at work in the world that get a much more complete introduction in the first book.

Anyway... I feel my bullheaded reluctance to outright dismiss Gilman has finally payed dividends with a work of his that I can say I thoroughly enjoyed. Even long after I'd decided the previous two books of his I'd read just didn't quite do it for me—story-wise—something about his writing continued to "tug" at me. So I couldn't stop reading. This time it all clicked, and I'm glad I stuck it out.

Western, New Weird and Steampunk all rolled up into a classic and powerful first-person, story-within-a-story tale that's just rife with archetypal subtext the reader can chew on (should they enjoy that sort of thing). I look forward to his future endeavors.
---

Up next: Warren Ellis's Gun Machine.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote