View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012, 01:08 AM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
Recently I read a post here in which someone recommended Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart. I can't find the thread and don't remember who recommended it, but I want to thank you. This was such a beautiful book, one of my new favorites.

Subterranean Press just released the entire trilogy of The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox as a DRM-free EPUB omnibus, which I was able to pick up at Kobo for 45% off (thank you, MobileRead Kobo discount codes thread).
You made Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart sound so interesting that I had to just go looking for other comments on this book. I found a few comments and recommendations in at least these two threads.

Fantasy Novels in non-medevial settings?
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by conanfan View Post
[snip]The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox (Bridge of Birds, The Story of the Stone, and Eight Skilled Gentlemen) - Also a close call, because the setting is medieval China, rather than your standard European fair. Touching and hilarious.
[snip]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Barry Hughart's Bridge of Birds which has a Chinese setting.[snip]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldin View Post
[snip]I'd like to second (or third) Barry Hughart's incredible stories about Master Li and Number Ten Ox, beginning with Bridge of Birds. Some of the most imaginative fantasy around. I recently reread it, and was blown away all over again.[snip]
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.P. Lovesauce View Post
[snip]I want to fourth (fifth?) the Barry Hughart Bridge of Birds recommendation. [snip]

2011 Nebula Award Winners
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrella View Post
[snip]There's also the Forgotten Classics podcast which you might want to check out. At the moment, they are doing Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart, and their archive can be found here.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote