View Single Post
Old 12-18-2010, 10:20 AM   #9
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportourer1 View Post
I have to agree, the number of people who have told me that my novel begins too slowly are legion. If it were a printed novel, I think the first violent clash of arms would take place on page 5/6. In those first pages the lead character is established and the histroical contex set but that is too slow for many modern readers - weird. As it is set in 1798 it must frustrate them that the central character has top travel at 7 miles an hour on a sailing boat.
Sadly, you're right. Four pages establishing character and context is too much for modern readers. To succeed with modern audiences it's much better to start with a character in conflict and use that conflict to illuminate both character and setting.

Please note I'm not saying you need violence on page one - I'm suggesting that you introduce a dramatic conflict and start ratcheting up the tension as early as possible.

In modern fiction it's best to give us a reason to care about the character before you've finished introducing them. It gives readers with short attention spans a reason to turn the page.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote