View Single Post
Old 10-11-2015, 09:37 PM   #117
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonST View Post
The Q&S OP is required reading, and comprises an important part of the User Guide. Automatically downloading anything whatsoever for potential Q&S users would undermine their absolute need to educate themselves before clicking one of the 63 menu choices on the Q&S main menu.

The Standard Calibre "Plugin Updater" icon that opens to a modal dialog named "User Plugins" has a hyperlink to the "Plugin Homepage" in the lower right corner in plain view.

The Q&S Original Post clearly states the following:
  • "This add-on is intended for use only by "Advanced Calibre Users".
  • "Q&S is designed for users who have already been using Calibre for quite some time, so the Q&S User Guide assumes the reader is already familiar with Calibre."
  • "99.9% of Calibre users do not need Q&S, and should not install it."
  • "Percentage of Total Calibre Users to Whom This Add-On is Targeted: <0.001%"
I do not want anyone who cannot even get past the entire OP (much less the first few paragraphs) without becoming frustrated to even try to install Q&S, because I am the person they will inevitably contact. Indeed, that is what has just now occurred.
I think eschwartz was referring to the fact that the first post has instructions to download a filed called "QuarantineAndScrub_official_library_to_extract_re name_to_zip.jar" but that file doesn't exist in the first post. The filename is mentioned twice. When I looked at the list of attachments to that first post, I might have guessed it was the other file that eschwartz referred to, but I still couldn't be sure.

You make a big fuss about reading the user guide, but I can't find them. Well, there is a reference to using the menu options "Read Q&S Instructions", but I have to install it first. That means I have to do a bit of work that will go to waste if I read the first paragraph those instructions and realise I don't want to use the plugin. With the number of attachments to the first post, I'm surprised you don't have it there. Or am I being confused by the fact you refer to a "User Guide" several times and "User Instructions" elsewhere. As a title, they sort of sound the same, but I'm sure that my grammar and English language loving wife would point out that they should be very different things. And if the attachment "quarantine_instructions.pdf" is the user guide Q&S instructions, how about naming it consistently with everything else.

The first post of this thread is disorganised, has erroneous and conflicting info and doesn't clearly state what this plugin can do. If the intention of the first post is to repel people who would find this plugin useful and can actually follow clearly worded instructions, then it is probably doing a good job. But, if you want those people, then you should clean up the first post. A simple "Who this is for/not for" statement near the start. And removing insults to potential users ("emulate one Einstein") is probably a good idea. Or a least a polite one.

Last edited by davidfor; 10-11-2015 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Remember to reread the post after reorganising my thoughts.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote