View Single Post
Old 06-21-2010, 03:20 PM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The reason it's such a familiar story to a modern reader is simply that it's been so much copied. When it was written, it was a new kind of story, which is why it's regarded as a classic.
I think this is a very good comment. But although excellent for its time, I think it doesn't stand up well to subsequent work.

I was a bit unhappy about the disguise aspects of it, especially the end scene, but willing to go along for the story. I did rather like the section with the road maintainer.

I'm afraid the sections of travel and pursuit across Scotland compared very unfavourably for me with the scenes in Kidnapped. I also found the idea of Hannay ending up at the one house he would not wish to be at very unlikely. Especially as this was clearly not a house suddenly rented for the purpose, but their house even before Hannay went to Scotland. (Else why the explosives?)

I was also disappointed by Hannay's decision to try to leave the train between stations. He was pretty inconspicuous until then!

But I must admit that I'd forgotten it was written so early. But it's still not one I plan on re-reading.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote