View Single Post
Old 11-18-2019, 10:54 AM   #2743
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The Expanse, Book 1, Leviathan Wakes

After REALLY enjoying "The Expanse" TV series on Prime Video last year, I'm finally listening to the first Expanse novel, "Leviathan Wakes." I'm really enjoying the content so far. It's one of those fortunate "The show is great, and the book is even better" situations.
But, a third of the way in, I have some issues with the narrator's pronounciation, which surprised me:

One, the name of the book is "Leviathan Wakes." But twice in the introduction, the narrator referred to it as "Leviathan Awakes." I found that immediately weird.

Two, he repeatedly pronounces the series's primary propulsion system, the Epstein Drive, invented by Solomon Epstein, as an "Eep-steen" drive, long "e" at the beginning.
I've known an number of Epsteins. Some were Steens, some were Stines, but all had a short e in Ep at the beginning.

Three, he pronounces the name of the star Tau Ceti as "Tau SEE' Thai." I'm pretty dang sure it's supposed to be "seh tee" not SEE Thai"

I'm especially curious about all these issues, because I read there was a flap about another narrator doing book 4, and there was such a clamor over how bad he was, that Audible remade the book with this original guy by popular demand.

So is it just me....? i mean I otherwise like the performance, but these issues are distracting, especially since "Eeepsteeen" comes up so frequently.

ApK

ETA:. Ok, I did a little research, and it seems that some sources do indeed pronounce Ceti as See' Thai.
But this is science fiction, and science fiction has exactly one definitive pronunciation of Ceti:

Last edited by ApK; 11-18-2019 at 09:20 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote