View Single Post
Old 09-18-2018, 05:56 AM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Well let me know. Their documentation is clashing. Some people complained that if you disabled "Intelligent Services", you just fell back to the old "Spelling & Grammar" dialog.
Yes... well... sometimes... maybe... er... wtf!

At one stage when I had IntelliServ disabled I got the really old (2007) spelling and grammar popup dialogue. The one where you could edit the fragment of text that was displayed in the 'error' popup - IMO that was the best one.

But most of the time I'm getting the Editor Pane even though IntelliServ is unchecked. But here's the rub - sometimes when I go to Options->General IntelliServ is checked, and I'm positive it wasn't checked by me! My guess it that gets enabled behind the arras if there's a network connection, but it takes a while for the UI to wake up to that bit of jiggery-pokery, so it shows unchecked. This could be something specific to it being a Trial install, i.e. they want you to play with goodies so that you'll fall in love with them and shell out your money. I'll pull the plug on the network and see what happens

Quote:
From what I gathered, that would've been the first thing popping up if you pressed F7. You would then be able to choose which category you wanted to focus on (sort of the crux of this thread).

It even shows it in this thread (people complaining about Readability Statistics being broken for a few months):

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...1-b8a70b682eee

in an image from September 6.
I presume you mean the Jay Freedman post, that screen shot is from the Office Insider Monthly Channel (Targeted) build, Version 1808 build 10730.20088. build - he predicts it'll be in the next Final Cut :lol:

Quote:
Did you do a fresh install, or did it carry over a lot of your previous settings?
Over the top, I wasn't offered a choice. Basically it's a great big wrapper around regular Office 2016, which I already had. That's why it didn't download much. Its a Trial, so they're going to make it easy.

Quote:
Speaking of usability, why can't the mouse scroll work when hovering over menu items that have multiple rows:

Attachment 166367

If you click your cursor onto some text, the Style which matches gets a little border around it (in the above image, you can see it around "Normal").

If the Style doesn't exist in that first row though...

You hover your mouse over the Style box. Mouse scroll changes tabs left/right (Home <-> Insert <-> Layout) instead of styles scrolling up/down. Instead, you have to press the little itty buttons on the right edge... to clunkily scroll through styles a handful at a time. So dumb!

(Yes, I also know you could pop out the entire Styles Pane [pressing the little itty bitty arrow in the bottom right of my image].)
What would I know about mouse operations

If I wanted to see which style is in use, I would use the context menu, viz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	166370

Quote:
Side Note: Lately, I've also been a proponent of Select > Select All Text With Similar Formatting:
I recall selecting that option once looking for 18 point helvetica (or similar), the whole document was yellow highlighted and most of it was TNR 12 point. I have a macro that tries to delete unused styles.

Quote:
Or maybe it [Keyboard Shortcuts] could do something like Firefox's about:preferences. If it's different from default, it would bold the line.

And maybe not just a "Reset All" button, but a "Reset" button could be added.
I want to see the default value so that if I respond to someone's "How do I blah-blah . . ." question I don't give them a bum steer by telling them to use one of my customised kb shorts. Sometimes I forget, that I reassigned them.

Quote:
The thing that frustrates me is each version, they keep trying to shove more and more of these "flat" versions of Settings down your throat, but they don't even have the full functionality of the old ones! (Network settings is the perfect example. It's absolute garbage. You can't change anything meaningful within it. Only "Copy" info.)
If I want to do anything serious with configuring (such as the network), I start at the Control Panel. But some things in Settings are better - Bluetooth, Windows Update (in Pro), Security. It's a W.I.P. - remember WFW3.1 or XP.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote