View Single Post
Old 09-17-2018, 11:48 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
<snip>

Whoops, hit Submit when I wanted Preview - to be continued. . .
And here it is, one walk, one shopping trip and a lunch later.

Several of the MS and coffee&pasta posts had this

I cant find it. Some of the posts that have it, refer to Insider versions, so perhaps it didn't make it into the final cut. If anyone has it, can they tell me where they found it.

And, back to the issue of keyboard shortcuts. You don't really need them in Office 2007-16 because everything in the ribbon tabs can be accessed with single finger keystrokes. Providing the first one pressed is the Alt key, the Ribbon will get a bunch of indicators showing what key(s) map to what. FX:- for me ePubTools is Y3; and within that; Dialogue check is Y1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
I use Ignore quite often.

The books I work on have a lot of French/German/Greek words interspersed throughout (or potentially odd stuff like book/article titles). And while it might be valid in case A, it may not be valid in case B.

Also ye olde time spelling, might be valid in a quotation, but wrong in the text itself.

Or same with English US/UK spellings. Might be valid in a quote, but not outside.

You have to be very careful with these things! :P
For non-English text I set the language to French, Italian, etc, and check the Do not check spelling or grammar option. Frequently occurring foreign words, usually get globally replaced with the required language, and Do not check... set.

I make multiple passes focusing on different issues, rather than doing everything within a single pass. Spelling is the first pass, if I see a punctuation, grammar or style error I fix it there and then - according to my rules.

Quote:
Indeed. Seeing that little line in there just perfectly amplified the anger I have with the current Word grammarcheck system. :P

And their handful of categories are much too broad (it should break down like LanguageTool's rule > specific check hierarchy). Because sometimes just a single rule causes false positives to go through the roof.

Do you still have to Ignore Ignore one at a time? Or can you Ignore the entire rule from there?
Nope. Yep.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	358
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	166366

As you can almost see there are more 'Grammar' checks, sadly the dialogue box is fixed size BTW: any idea what the issue with the word 'Lack' might be, like how does it get misused - confused with Lakh?

Quote:
(One of the reasons why I prefer a tool that just runs on the entire document and lists all the errors... like LanguageTool.)

LibreOffice's isn't as nice as Sigil's, but it also has a Search. Their keyboard shortcuts are found in Tools > Customize > Keyboard.
I wish the LT Add-On for Word was as functional as the one in Libre Writer. I gave up on it because it crashed/wedged a lot. Maybe its been updated - I should take a look. When I use Libre Writer I feel I've gone back to the 1990s.

Sigil's KB shortcut feature would be perfect if it showed the default and the customised settings, and I didn't sometimes lose my custom settings when I install a new version.

Quote:
A few days ago I did run across a reference to a whitepaper (believe it was based on a PhD where someone designed more accurate grammar recommendations). It was one of the few online tools that actually still existed and wasn't overrun by them! Sadly, it was mostly an API, and the online portion was extremely limited.
It'll take me a while to get my head around what the Editor feature of Word offers grammar-wise. Its UI is an improvement and I like the fact it has a way to access its settings from within itself -- there should be more of that in all software.

somewhat,

Like many people I wasn't enamoured with the flat plastic look of Win 10's Settings App. The other day I downloaded a flat plastic File Manager App, it was very rudimentary so I've not kept it.

However in playing with it, I discovered I could intuitively navigate my way around its UI with just the Tab and arrow keys, remember I don't like pointy things like mice and trackpads. No more accelerator keys, e.g. Alt+G for Grouping and Alt+G for Algorithm. I've since discovered that the various flat plastic Apps (I hate that word) MS ships are similar. So perhaps the flat plastic is not as bad as I first thought.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-17-2018 at 11:56 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote