View Single Post
Old 09-17-2018, 08:31 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My earlier post was based on Word 2016 from Office 2016 for Home and Business.

I went away and read up on the Editor Pane, it looked interesting. So I had a chat session with MS Support. The pricing is not as bad as I remembered ($200+pa), for Personal it's only AU$10 monthly for 1 desktop, 1 phone, and 1 tablet, which is the same as my weekly gym-fees! And I get to keep my Office H&B - I could put that on my Dell Alien Alpha Xbox box :lol:

So I have it on a 1 month trial, I'll be responding based on my limited usage of it. The install was painless, download and run a little exe, which does a bit more downloading, a few minutes over DSL, then a similarly few minutes to install. No more than 10 minutes go-to-whoa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
When you mess with any of these Spelling/Grammar settings, doesn't Word completely "Recheck the document" from scratch?
I don't think so, my experience is I have to tap that big Recheck Document to get it to even think about doing it, but sometimes it doesn't work, and I have to stop/start Word.

I don't change the options under the Settings button. What I do is uncheck/check Check grammar with spelling, and when its checked I select the Writing Style check I want - Grammar or Grammar & Refinements

Quote:
Let's say you reached the halfway point, you've been Ignoring on a case-by-case basis. You run into a common "error" clogging up your workflow, so you go into the "Proofing Options" and change a single setting. Every... dang... change... you just Ignored gets reset.
For spelling I don't do many Ignore Once's. I correct, Ignore all if I want to subsequently review in context as previously described. or I Add the word to the custom dictionary, which I also use perversely

If a misspelt word is peculiar to a document, e.g. a place name, persons name etc, I add it to the custom dictionary.

When I finish a document I replace RoamingCustom.dic with a 'starter' version of it, which gets rid of the document specific "Added" words.

It's the nearest I can get to having a document specific custom dictionary. I can't recall which WP program I used that had them - WordPerfect, Multimate, Gypsy, who knows ? From time to time I consider saving the end of checking RoamingCustom.dic file to the calibre book where I have the DOCX, but I never do.

So, when I hit Recheck Document I don't get many misspellings that I have to Ignore Once again.

Quote:
Side Note: This categorization is also a frustrating point in Word's grammarcheck.

When you get a suggestion, you have no idea WHAT rule/category this "error" actually hit, because it doesn't tell you. Look at the screenshot I gave in Post #1 for Word:
This seems to 'fixed' in Office 356 Word, the Editor Box has this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	548
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	166354

Quote:
lol, with book-sized documents, I usually get the "There are too many results to show here".
I don't think I get that as much as I used to, maybe because I went from 6GB to 16GB of RAM

Quote:
Are these default shortcuts? I tried them on my end and they didn't work.

My Ctrl+Home jumped me near the beginning of the document. And the Alt+Numpad+ inserted an equation.
Probably not - I do a lot of keyboard shortcut customisations in most programs, trying to make them consistent, coherent etc.

Quote:
Side Note: I also went into File > Options > Customize Ribbon > Keyboard Shortcuts: Customize... (ugh, what a way to bury shortcuts). And I couldn't easily find a "Find Next Misspelled Word". According to a quick search online it may be Alt+F7... where it's buried in the menus though, no idea.
I probably don't have a problem with it because I spent a lot of time sorting it out when the Ribbons first appeared. IIRC back in the days of evil menus and loathsome button bars, kb shortcuts were no easier to set, and arguably worse. Now at least just about everything can be given a kb short, which I'm not sure has always been the case.

Quote:
Why oh why couldn't it be more like Sigil/Calibre's Shortcut pages? Full search + you could easily see what's assigned to what.
I assume you're referring to the calibre editor. The library manager has the ability to give everything under the sun a shortcut, but there was no way to see a list of them that you can sort like Sigil's list. I had to sweet talk DaltonST into adding a blade to his JobSpy toolbag to do it.

Quote:
Side Note: And Grammarly is horrendous. You can see how the one-by-one annoyed The Digital Reader in his review: https://the-digital-reader.com/2017/...ing-grammarly/
I looked at Grammerly once - for all of five minutes

Question - anyone have any idea why the context menu for a spelling error has an Ignore All option, but not an Ignore Once option. IIRC it's been ever thus.

BR

PS; Office 365 Word has an option to opt-out of so-called Intelligent Services. I don't know if or how it works or not. Maybe if you opt out they broadcast a message to the Intelligence Services.

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-17-2018 at 09:32 AM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote