View Single Post
Old 04-18-2015, 04:40 AM   #28
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_VM View Post
Hello, I have a Kindle 4. I'd like to ask if the following is possible:

-I install Debian on my kindle
-I install Calibre on my kindle.
-I get it to download rss news, convert them to mobi, read them on my kindle.

Would this be possible? (everything from the command line of course, I understand the grephical interface is too much for kindle and anyway I'd do it as an automatic process)

Thank you in advance!
Answering your last, first - - -

The keyboard **IS** graphical, what are you going to do for keyboard input?
(This is the general problem with the K4 - finding ways to handle keyboard input. Other models have either buttons or touch screen.)

I think we already have rss reader(s) that will work on the K4.
You might have to do some searching if no one offers a link.

Install ... on the K4 -
Yeah, right, where are you going to get the ARM build of it?
And the memory to run it in? (Unless you enable swap.)

Install Debian on the K4 -
Perhaps as a "headless" install (only) - no on device user interface.
See keyboard problem above.
Plus, the e-ink display is meta-stable - not like a video display with a regular refresh (and corresponding signals).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote