View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010, 02:27 PM   #55
plisken
Enthusiast
plisken began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhari79 View Post
beg to differ. IPad cannot dent an eink reader the same way that cars and motorbikes did not eradicate the need for a bicycle. Both have their uses.
In theory DR1000 has its uses. I bought it for reading the books, but instead I waste my time waiting for booting up, then I wait for opening the pdf, then I wait because I am not sure it crashed, then I reset it, then I wait again, then I think of the trick how to open this pdf...

So back to your analogy -- if you were fan of cars, but all you can get is some old pile of steel which takes long to start, after starting it spill the oil (BP, ekhem), then the tires fall off -- would you consider buying instead a new, shining, fast bike which has only one disadvantage that after half an hour you start getting a headache.

Me? Sure. Half an hour is all I have per day, and it is better reading a book from glossy LCD screen than looking at progress animation on Eink screen.

The problem is now all users of ereaders have living proof that ereader is not a second class citizen, that it can have really thoroughly tested firmware (it is strange, there are several opensource pdf-readers on regular computers, yet iRex decided to use some buggy custom one, NIH syndrome I guess). That using ereader can be fun, and not frustration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhari79 View Post
I just cant tolerate the glare or weight of the ipad when i want to read, especially at night before sleep.
I also just cant tolerate the slowness of an ebook reader...two sides of a coin..
I can tolerate the slowness actually. I cannot tolerate randomness -- sometimes I press the button and I get the led lit, sometimes I press button and I don't get the led lit. So what is it? DR1000 is _processing_ such advanced feature as lighting the led?

But in general I totally agree with you in this part. Considering iPad will be soon major player (read: it will have tons of accessories and software), I think it is better for me to switch. It is more sane for me to read with breaks for eyes rest, than wasting time on waiting for reading.

I will stay with iRex and recommend it only (only!) if iRex would open source entire software for DR1000. 100%, nothing less. Then it would be a chance to grab the code, fix the bugs, and finally _read_. Without such move we are on mercy of iRex and it does not work.
plisken is offline   Reply With Quote