View Single Post
Old 10-19-2006, 09:48 AM   #1
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Does the current crop of e-ink cut it ?

I'm still waiting for a serious e-ink tool to surface. E-ink is essential to my eyes. Everything I've tried so far has me crying like a ninny in less time than I'd care for. It's hard to do serious work when you keep fighting tears until everything is just a blur.

A laptop does'nt cut it. Even tablets are too bulky for what I do. The LCD I use on my PC now, barely passes and I have to turn my eyes away often, even as the refresh is set to the best setting possible. Give me a paper text of some kind and I'll read till I fall asleep.

Computing power has been overkill for a long time specially since what I do uses mostly static display. The old Mac of yesteryear still cuts it. The PC I'm writing on does all the Cad, picture retouch, web creation and presentation (like my site) I need. A PDA's computing power now is more than adequate but the size is not and the display is worse. Why not a B&W or color PDA with e-ink? That would be a killer!

As for books, I have enough paper material to last the rest of my life. We have the chance around here to have a very special outfit that teaches illiterate people the marvels of reading. They have a unique way of funding. They take donations of book via a 24 hour round bin, and resell the books in a shop they have for a ridiculous price; like 2% of their original value. Last time I went there I came out with 80 very good paperbacks for $10.50. That is 6 months reading for me. When I'm done I just bring them back to the bin. A "novels only" reader is a luxury that is doomed. A reader to survive has to be able to do much much more.

Irex was on the right track from the start, if it could only get out of beta! And color next year is their best bet yet...

Sony has a computer market to protect. I can understand. It's present approach is with a limited luxury market that may work but will certainly not greet the masses.

I hope I'm not alone feeling this way.

I'm still hopeful that an A4 color e-ink with input will come out next year. "Only for geeks" they say? Bloody right they are!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote