View Single Post
Old 10-09-2019, 11:34 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
What does that mean? "running from source"?
It doesn't mean anything. It's a buzzword unrelated to reality. It's something being said by someone who doesn't actually know what they're talking about.

If you have a copy of Calibre already installed, containing the binary components that don't work on older versions of macOS, you can check out the calibre source code and modify the pure python components, or run against newer versions of the pure python components.

This does not, not has it ever, allowed you to run Qt5 itself from source. (As in, the thing-that-doesnt-work-on-older-macOS-releases-Qt5. Yeah, that.)

In theory, it may be possibly to compile all of Calibre from the ground up, using a full blown development environment, targeting the version of macOS you need. There's a thread in the development subforum about this -- it's been suggested that you *might* be in luck if you need 10.12 support, but 10.11 is simply utterly hopeless as Qt>=5.12.x won't compile under any circumstances.

If that's okay with you and you find yourself excited by the idea of *experimenting* with compiling calibre from source, then by all means don't let me dampen your enthusiasm and feel free to hop right by the development subforum to ask questions.

(I'm pretty sure I remember you saying you're not that sort of person though...)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote