View Single Post
Old 11-27-2010, 09:15 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Jon and 3d0g - I put "Three men" onto my Kobo and on my BeBook to compare them. I also opened up Three Men and looked at its css and its font files. The Fontin font is subtly different from the Kobo's serif font, so it was not easy to spot the differences.

It turns out that the Kobo will recognize embedded font requests as long as they are not in a 'body' declaration, which is the only place they occur in this css file. Other places they are recognized.

A lot of people like to be able to chose their body font - it's supposed to be one of the advantages of an ereader. Personally, I think it is unfortunate that Kobo does not allow font choice in a body declaration, but I can see where they might have been coming from. I would like to see them allow 'font-family' in body declarations.

BTW, I think BeBook (Hanlin/Jinke) got it mostly right. I can add a fonts directory with a selection of my favorites, then use a settings menu to select the default font, and it will honor the choice made in the css for an embedded font. I suppose a switch setting to allow the my default font to override the css would be desirable, as well.
To be honest, a lot of ePub put the font-family declaration in the body declaration of the CSS. The Kobo firmware not recognizing this is a serious bug. It means most ePub with embedded fonts will not work as they should. ADE and other implementations of mobile ADE work fine this way. I'm still waiting to see Kobo on MR acknowledge this as a bug and tell everyone it's on the list to be fixed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote