View Single Post
Old 01-24-2007, 09:20 PM   #1
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Extracting text with formatting from PDF

Hi folks,

I have a PDF file that I'd like to get the text out of while retaining the formatting. The file is too large to simply select all text and copy/paste. (I get a memory error when I try to do this.) Besides, I'd like to not take the page numbers, since they won't be relevant on the device I'll be reading on (eBw 1150). The ABC PDF converter gets the text, but loses the formatting. I can't afford a full copy of Acrobat. Other extractors I've tried seem to assume one has Word installed (I don't).

I usually use a Mac, but I do have a PC available. Can anyone suggest a good, preferably low-cost program to convert PDF to something more portable, e.g. HTML or RTF? (I guess I could use the trial of Acrobat Professional for now, but I'd like a more long-term solution.)

Thanks!

PS - I've also tried TextLightning and Trapeze on the Mac. Neither worked, possibly because they didn't like the font. TextLightning kept crashing, and the limited output it did manage to provide didn't parse. It looked like raw PDF code. Trapeze just produced junk.

Last edited by nekokami; 01-24-2007 at 09:31 PM. Reason: TextLightning and Trapeze
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote