View Single Post
Old 01-09-2009, 08:39 AM   #44
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Well, I don't do it because I don't see the point of the effort. If the Sony Readers are the only ones that currently can read epub and they do that rather poorly (worse than LRF), then there is no immediate need for epub files, as I see it.
Three reasons:

(1) OMG is it better than LRF. Having real italics instead of a programmatically slanted font is worth the price of admission alone. Image floats, direct HTML rendering (vs. necessarily incomplete conversion), SVG, etc are just icing on the cake.

(2) Plenty of other readers. Stanza, Calibre, FBReader (er... kind of), and definitely more to come.

(3) Clean clean clean source. If you produce a clean XHTML+CSS source of your book to produce other formats from, you can release that source as the EPUB version. If any else ever wants to convert to any other format, they can just grab the EPUB version and have the cleanest possible source to work from.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote