View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #30
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Not exactly. But posts #15, #16, and #21 are evidence in that direction. Publicly available evidence would be stronger, and, if on a jury, the defense attorney might like my level of skepticism towards eyewitness testimony. Still, such testimony is surely evidence.

This next evidence is five years old, and perhaps the situation described is improving, but it is pretty strong evidence that even a non-profit state school can be corrupt when it comes to textbooks:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121565135185141235.html

Compared to basing financial aid on extra-curricular activity participation, the custom book racket is minor, but it still is, to me, corruption.

Having said that, when it comes to textbooks, I would agree that there are lots of non-corrupt schools. My kids have not experienced the worst practices described in this thread.
There are corrupt bookstores I am sure, however there is corruption in every area of government and business at some point in history. That doesn't mean everything is a corrupt conspiracy at all times. In fact, in my experence working with government contracts the opposite is normally true. Most administrative decisions are typically made based not on common or business sense, but rather on regulation and policies that were demanded by an undereducated and overstimulated general public.

And for the record, if you're looking for sympathy about athletes not getting a full free ride though college, you're not going to get it from me. That is way off topic here, so I won't go into it further.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote