Thread: Hi-di-ho
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2008, 04:17 PM   #1
synoptic
synoptic began at the beginning.

Device: N/A
Hi-di-ho

Hello

I am currently considering purchasing an eReader, possibly the Iliad, but still scoping out people's experience of this technology. I have noticed an increase in the attention eReaders have been getting lately (probably due to the Sony device being marketed in Waterstones) and decided the time might be right to take the plunge.

I'm not 100% certain on this as I haven't actually seen an eInk display and have some concerns regarding the display sizes currently on offer. I read lots of scientific journal articles and was hoping to use an eReader as an alternative to printing the things out (piles of them everywhere!). I have read a lot of the posts that deal with this issue and I am reasonably confident the Iliad is up to the job but would appreciate any input from users who use it for this kind of reading. I am also strongly swayed by the Iliads touchscreen capability as annotating and note-taking would be highly desirable. Is it worth the price premium though?

The amount of development activity being undertaken by the users themselves is also impressive, a sure sign that the technology, in general, is in the ascendency.

The main concern for me is in buying a device now that will be superseded in the next 12 months by something with a larger display... I don't want to wait too long as I am already one year into a three year course and the main reason for getting an eReader is to streamline my study workflow. Again, any advice regarding this issue would be appreciated (although I have browsed the posts that offer info/hunches/rumours on product release schedules!).

Anyway, hello again and I hope I will be able to pick your brains over the coming weeks!

Cheers.
synoptic is offline   Reply With Quote