Thread: What is piracy?
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #9
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
Is simply copying a book for personal use piracy? Or does piracy require commercial gain?

For instance, if I find a decent book in the free bin at a used bookstore and then scan it into my ereader, is that piracy? Would it be piracy if I were to scan the printed book into my ereader non-destructively and then return the printed book to the free bin?

Would an act of piracy occur if I were to take the scanned ebook I obtained from the free bin and upload it to a free ebook distribution site?
This post sounds almost like a troll for discussion - no offense meant.

Submitting an ebook to a distribution site may well qualify as piracy, depending on its copyright status and any notices about rights to distribution. I think it is safe to submit a copy of "Alice in Wonderland" to any distribution site you want, as long as your copy does not have copywrited addendums or annotations in it. Submission of a free ebook obtained from Kindle might be an offense if the copyright is still in effect.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote