View Single Post
Old 08-19-2011, 05:13 AM   #72
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by travger View Post
What about all those temporary freebies? And nobody can convince me that some book will stay free in next 5-10 years. Maybe author/publisher changes policy? Only certain thing is my own PC.

I gleaned lot of practices from other members, actually am thinking about starting a new library for cleanups (like you). So I can enter the info from downloads page (whatever it has and I want) and source. When reading/cleaning/converting and moving to main library, I then don't have to check if there was some info I want (like page count or better summary for example).

Idea for 'source' I lifted from someone's screenshot...
Thanks, I'd forgotten about the freebies sometimes being temporary. Something to mark down as an exception while I'm trying to squeeze details out of my overall new strategy to try to obtain-on-demand this time around. Where possible and feasible. Maybe that's too idealistic and general a strategy to work well in real life. We'll see.

How exactly do you track source? I was thinking I'd like to add a custom field #source as a multi-tag type of field, and keep SourceName, web.address there where possible, or other source-IDing info. Edit: I just added it, as described.

Been configuring calibre and adding fields. I haven't decided yet what to do with tracking rights information, if at all. After all, it's almost always in the book if it's from a legitimate source. Edit: I'm deciding not to track it separately unless someone let's me know a good reason I've missed.

BTW, there are pros and cons for the separate metadata/format clean-up library. One con is that you can't (yet) cut and paste from older books in main library without doing a quick switch, which takes time. For example, to enter series info on a new series member when you already have older series members in the other library.

Edit. Page counts, another thing I hadn't messed with and now I'm wondering if they'd be useful to me in any way. Since I read mostly fiction that is mostly text with few graphics, I've been doing pretty well estimating book length solely from filesize. Now I realize page count would be useful in cases like a short story where the author or publisher padded the size with hi-rez cover or additional hi-rez graphics.

Last edited by unboggling; 08-19-2011 at 06:38 AM. Reason: clarification & additional points