View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
LED
LED began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
ePUB and PDF issues

First time poster here, so please bear with me if this is an obvious fix.

I recently bought a secondhand Kobo off a friend who gave up on it. I was able to read a few free books, then decided to purchase one (from Kobobooks directly). I could never open that book (Killing Pablo - the Pablo Escobar bio) on the Kobo hardware due to license blocking - saying I didn't have rights to it and had to activate the hardware.

I followed various suggestions previously posted on this issue, metadata fixes, factory resets, reactivating using ADE, creating a new adobe account and repeating all the above. Nothing worked, though I could read it on my PC and iPhone all along. Kobo's customer support offered me a refund because they couldn't find a way to fix the problem.

I've had this same problem with other books that don't have associated DRM but are in the ePUB format. I've tried converting them to PDF as a work around, in Calibre, but end up with only the first 15-30 pages of text, and the remainder are blank (i.e. 100s of blank pages after the first 15-30). When viewed in Calibre, there is no problem. No images at that location or anything like that.

My specific questions are:
1) If the factory reset, removal of 's from metadata and reactivation doesn't work, and I still get blocked from reading a book I paid for, do I have any other options? Is the secondhand nature of the hardware possibly causing a problem?
2) Is this PDF issue common/resolvable?

I'm not sure whats worse. Not being able to read a book I purchased, or being able to read only the first two dozen pages before it fails.
LED is offline   Reply With Quote