View Single Post
Old 04-21-2024, 11:33 AM   #25
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
There are a thousand or more inconsistencies in my case. Basically every commercial publisher has several different variations of their name. Even some small publishers have them, and even self-published authors have different versions of their own name often enough.

And as I said, I don't actually download metadata, so I have nothing to create rules for.
+1 and +1
Baen does this all the time (although I don't think I have seen them use S&S there).

Authors (at least for all publishers in my Library):
Middle initial With or without a period Or even the initial
Robert Heinlein, Robert A Heinlein,Robert A. Heinlein (I don't remember seeing his full middle name on a cover)

Christopher Nuttall has the variations of middle initial frequently.
I chose:
Christopher G. Nuttall as MY standard as it was most frequent at the time.

:bulb2; Quality check Plugin has tools in the FIX section to help standardize

OTOH
There are deliberate Author name variations for some who choose to write in different genres. ( Initials in one, Middle name (only) Last, In another. Those I do not Mix.

Then there is the real PITA , 2 Authors with the same name... (I am waiting for one of them to get with another to write, just to really tick me off )
Variations are why I don't Automate fully.

I would love to have a way to mark 'those problem kids' (in Manage...?): Human help needed NOW, and have Calibre stop the Add / non-interactive metadata update) and have it wait for user to resolve, rather than proceeding where they need to be discovered later.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote