View Single Post
Old 08-03-2013, 01:16 AM   #14
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
And sure enough, tomorrow has arrived and now I'm thinking that hyphens tend to call out the sentence, bringing it to greater attention than it deserves. Without the hyphens there is a good chance that most readers will pass on by, understand the sense intended (in this context) and move on without distraction.

My wife suggests that "knows" may be better than "knew" in this context, as it better conforms to the colloquial phrasing, "who knows", and may make the sense more obvious to the reader even without the hyphens. (And the mixed tense seems less inclined, to my eye, to exhibit the ambiguity I suggested in my previous post.) As others here have continued to use "who knows", I get the impression that this is probably correct. So now I am back to:

Abby was gone, and Bill was who knows where now.

Now I really must move on. Only another 84,126 words to go.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote