View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012, 01:18 AM   #134
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Not to fisk, but there seems to be a disconnect between that broad intention and the specifics of what was written. At issue was the idea that usage is entirely due to the idea of formerly gender-defined occupations.
I didn't say that it was entirely to do gender-defined occupations. There is a difference between partially and entirely.

Quote:
If correct grammar were completely beholden to individual usage, then English teachers, professors, writers, editors and proofreaders wouldn't be needed.
It's not about individual usage. No one is saying that grammar is whatever you wish it to be.

Quote:
Again, I've said exactly the same thing using a different romance language as an example. I haven't seen anyone here disagree with that idea, though I do wonder whether you've been reading the posts to which you've responded.
I didn't claim that anyone disagreed with the idea. You claimed that bias is difficult to eliminate in language, I pointed out that the generic he is not difficult at all to remove. I came back later and edited the post because it occured to me that in a more general sense, what you said was true, if a language has extensive gender bias, yes, it is difficult to remove.

I expected that if I had not added that clarification, it would have been easy for someone to use a language such as Spanish to provide a counter-example to what I had said, and I expect you would have done just that.

Last edited by QuantumIguana; 09-01-2012 at 01:56 AM.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote