View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 04:14 AM   #20
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchtray View Post
It's stated in the TOS and if people read them more often they wouldn't be "the ignorant general populace".
This.

My university uses Turnitin.com to check for plagiarism. Each student had to create an account and accept a ToS so that we could submit our papers to the professors (via Turnitin) to be marked. The ToS for turnitin states that any papers submitted through them become the intellectual property of turnitin and they are allowed to use the papers in any way they see fit, including to make money or expand on your ideas. The ToS also states that students are waiving the right to sue for copyright infringement and that papers submitted to turnitin.com may not be published in any journals (etc) without the approval of turnitin.com.

Anyone else have a BS detector going off? I protested this to one of my professors and he outright accused me of plagiarism even though it was the third day of the semester. Several other universities have banned the use of turnitin.com because of student protests, but Wilfrid Laurier is being stubborn about this. I bet they get paid by turnitin.com to use their services.

Anyways, that's just one ToS horror story. (If anyone here is a gamer, you may also be familiar with EA's blunder where they state their Origin software will collect ALL the data from your PC). Since then I've always read them.
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote