View Single Post
Old 03-16-2016, 03:46 AM   #27
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Why do you want DRM?
Why would you cut out a big portion of your market?
I am sorry but I would not download some website to my phone. I don't know you (generic you) well enough. For all I know you might be a phisherman or a leper.

All DRM does is make it harder on honest people.

Now if I wanted to host my ebook on my website, I would have it available in all the common formats epub, mobi and pdf. I would also have it on as many major book sellers that I could find.
Oh for your benefit I just looked on Amazon. Just in the sports fishing category, there are 1,263 ebooks on fly fishing.
Why would you make it harder on your potential customers?
I think your idea is cool, but I don't think you will get many hits.

Note, I will use Amazon as an example. Let's say I want a book on fly fishing. I find your website. Ok first you want me to download the website to be able to read it. Will the website be able to remember where I left off, will it sync between devices and most importantly will I need special software to read this book?
What kind of information do you need from me if I want to download your book?

Whereas I can go over to Amazon (or my chosen device site) and grab a book with one small click and it will go to any of my registered devices. If need be, I can then go to MYCAD and send it to the rest easily.

No hoops, no muss, no fuss and I am reasonably certain Amazon is safe.
My interpretation of what the OP is doing is: DRM would be an optional feature for those that want it. The web server would be installed to your device just like any other ereader app you might grap, you would not necessarily be aware that is was in fact a web server. I don't know if there are any security concerns with that. We trust and install apps all the time, so why would this be any different?

As a proof of concept, home brew project it it interesting, but commercially it faces a lot of competition.

Last edited by ShellShock; 03-16-2016 at 03:48 AM.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote