Thread: $13 eReader?
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 07:57 AM   #153
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
The Guardian had a highly positive review about two weeks ago, and (hope I'm right) I think it has not been linked to on this board before:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...-reader-review

To me, the big pluses are ePub and, of course, price. Given the planned introductory price, it might be just a couple dollars on Black Friday 2013.
I doubt it. From the article you linked to:

Quote:
The txtr beagle can be offered at such a low price because its cost will be subsidised by mobile carriers. The beagle itself won't be sold individually; you'll only be able to get one is by purchasing it when you sign up for a mobile phone contract on specific carriers.
If they were to offer it unsubsidized I wonder how it would compare to the Kobo Mini (£50 in the UK) - which is a similar size but which is a fully functional ereader capable of reading native ebook formats. It really would have to be around £8 for me to put up with not being able to search and not being able to adjust the font size. (I could live with only 5 books at a time).

I like that it uses AAA batteries though.

As for the bluetooth issue, you could probably use a PC with existing tools. Figure out the file structure - it's probably something like a directory/zip file with a series of JPGs and an index/metadata file. I bet they haven't bothered to obfuscate or encrypt it.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote