View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 01:18 PM   #12
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
not really- in kids mode - indicated by a blue borderon the tablet - there are 4 headline tabs
books , videos, apps, characters
the bought from amazon books display directly in the books tab. so you are not aware that a "reader" is involved though of course they open in the on-board Kindle app, in which you can turn on text to speech.
The videos tab shows only videos bought and downloaded form amazon and permitted within the freetime settings so for me that is an empty tab. ( though I did test it with a n adult one to check how it works. Prime video is blocked by design - kids can only access videos in the tablet's own storage.
the Tabs tab shows only permitted apps.
I have not quote figures out characters. if i select e.g. princesses It offers up the angry birds start wars app, & if I select Science I get the patterson's Inventions game. I suspect the characters categories are generated based on what apps you have allowed but I did not bother to test it in detail. I suppose horses would go to my little pony if that was on board.
So all a child has to know is that some books appear under books, others appear in the Aldiko app.( which has a book icon so i'ts easy to find.)
you cannot cheat by sideloading mobi or AZW format books, those never appear in books tab, even if correctly sideloaded to books folder. An adult can find them there, but not a child.
the other navigation tool is the carousel of all recently selected stuff books, apps, videos re all jumbled in together on a last used comes first sort., I guess most kids will just swipe left/ right through that & ignore the tabs option. Kids cannot right click to remove carousel items.
A 2016 Fire tablet, with OS 5, that does not use carousel may present very differently - we are using the old Kindle Fire 8.9 HD
I use calibre companion, in the tablet's adult mode, to get books onto tablet wirelessly, you can set formats and preferences within that app.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote